Saturday, January 25, 2014

Cottage Cheese Pancakes



I love pancakes (who doesn't?), but it wasn't until recently that I tried making them with cottage cheese. There are a number of recipes out there with lots of eggs in them, but I can't have eggs, so I've adjusted the idea to come up with something that works for me. I've done these with diced pear before, but blueberries hit the spot today.

INGREDIENTS
140 grams all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cottage cheese
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. xanthan gum (if using gluten-free flour)
1 T sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 to 3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped fruit (I used frozen blueberries)
butter for the pan

Mix everything together but the fruit and the butter. Start with 1/2 cup milk, but let it rest a minute or two and see if you need to add more milk to loosen and thin the batter (particularly if you're using the xanthan gum). Heat some butter in a nonstick pan and when it's hot, follow your usual method for making smallish pancakes. These are best when 5 inches or less in diameter -- much bigger and they're hard to flip over, especially once the cottage cheese melts! Serve however you like; we had ours topped with Greek yogurt and a little maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment